homestead - Re: [Homestead] Jersey cows

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Jersey cows
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 10:15:12 -0800 (PST)

This is one of the better commentaries you have written about "community"
James. And, it applies to more than just homesteading.

But, in homesteading communities, you point out a particluar limiting
factor for people like me. I've lways thought I would need to be almost
isolated and do my own thing; "OR'; would need to 'pay' for the priveledge of
doing the best I can (less than them, likely) in someone else's homestead or
homestead community.

I have always been very independent and self-sufficient in the ordinary
sense. I learned the rules of commerce young, played them well and always
stayed a bit ahead of the game. 'not a great winner, but always a decent
player. From everything I read on this list; as a fellow subsistence
homesteader , I would not be as useful as a day laborer or even a work
animal. On my own, with "some" hired help, at least , maybe, I could figure
out things on a very slow learning curve, before being run off in
exasperation (maybe not before starving first, though, that's why fishing and
already fertile soil is so important)

Hell, I don't even know how to make beads or sandals or any of the other
hippie crap that some find useful in 'community'. I don't feel sorry for
myself. Society hasn't broken down yet, and I'm still plugging along, trying
to ascertain the proper direction (in more ways than one).

I still think , for someone like me, that leasing fertile land from an
already industrious farmer, is not such a bad idea. I could do the best I
could on my own- build, grow, fish, and hunt what I could- and then purchase
what I can't do on my own from the lessor's over-production or from someone
else in the community.

Buying , rather than leasing, land is till an option; but I think finding
what I want or need might be easier if I were willing to lease. I already
own land, now. It does me very little good.

I know you think my idea is not so good. But, you are right that the
weaknessnes that someone ,like me, would bring to a 'sunsteanence' type
community would outwiegh any strengths.

In very worst case scenario, I could always go to 'home'. I am welcome
there; but if that is where I wanted to live, I would be there now. 'still
looking at options .............bobford