homestead - Re: [Homestead] was twin google; now: crows ,

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was twin google; now: crows ,
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 10:28:40 -0800 (PST)

Huh; you could write an article for one of the homesteading magazines with
this idea. People have been complaining of crows forever. I read about a
trap that a cattleman came up with to rid his cattles of horseflies; it was
sort of simiar to your theory. ..........bobford

--- On Sat, 11/29/08, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> > >I have heard of placing pieces of black hose-pipe
> (to look like snakes); is this what you had in mind?
>
> No, noting of the sort. Before adopting the thread method,I used to shoot
> several crows during the winter and put them in the freezer. Then at the
> critical time I'd hang one up in the corn field (several if there was a big
> field of several plots) and the crows avoid an area that smells of dead
> crow. It' s maginally effective.
>
> Someone described to me a crow trap based on the principle that a crow need
> a certain amount of space above it to take off. It's a sort of pup-tent
> shaped affair 6' tall with an opening 1' wide and as along as the trap on
> the top and covered with rusted poultry wire elsewhere. The idea
is that the crow drops in to get the corn and can't get airborne to get out.