homestead - Re: [Homestead] wooden bowls for biscuits

  • From: Cathy <goosecreekfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] wooden bowls for biscuits
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 13:48:28 -0500

The applesauce dessert sounds yummy. My grandmother's biscuits were not
crispy. I do think, though, that they might have been "short," a higher
proportion of fat to flour than truckstop biscuits. That extra fat would
keep them tasty longer, too.

She used Martha White self-rising flour, sweet milk and, by the time I came
along she had adopted the new-fangled vegetable shortening over lard.
Instead of breaking up the fat into the flour then adding the liquid, she
pretty thoroughly mixed the liquid and fat in the well of her flour in the
dishpan then quickly mixed in enough flour and rolled out the dough.

She never measured anything, and by the time I was interested in the recipe
she wasn't cooking anymore. The biscuits were light, and not crumbly.

I guess I'll just have to bake a buncha buncha biscuits and try to figure it
out.

Cathy