homestead - Re: [Homestead] wooden bowls for biscuits

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] wooden bowls for biscuits
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 23:45:13 -0800

I wouldn't want a wooden bowl for making biscuits. And, if I do say so myself, I make a mean biscuit <g>

You want a cold fat source, a cold liquid source (I prefer buttermilk) and you want to handle the dough as little as possible. NO kneading! That makes for tough biscuits and usually flat ones.

As to bread, I have Gramma's old stoneware like bowl for rising and kneading is done on a butcher block table top. I suppose one could substitute a bowl. And, yes, you could do your kneading one-handed in a bowl with a handle. I mean, I can picture how you'd do it. You could use the action of tilting the bowl back and forth as part of the kneading process.

Although, I could better see them as being used for making homemade pasta. Sometimes the well method on a flat counter can mean the things try to get away from you.

But I wouldn't use a square for anything. You'd end up with "stuff" stuck in corners and wouldn't have a uniform mix of ingredients without a whole lot of trouble. I'm all for less trouble <g>

I've made a few resolutions for 2009, and one of them is learning to
make biscuits that are to die for. I know that in the olden days people
used a bread bowl-different sizes for different things-properly seasoned
etc. Since I'm married to a woodworker and I have gobs and gobs of
hardwood around here, I thought I'd get Ron to make me a biscuit bowl.
I think a biscuit bowl out of pecan would be nice. A bit of internet
research turned up this page:

http://www.betterbaking.com/viewArticle.php?article_id=75&PHPSESSID=49f5a983aa8b772cfff8836d5309f09c

I never knew that bowl makers were so unique.
Don or James or anyone else on the list...what can you tell me about
bowl adzes? (I can't say that<g>)
We have a big lathe, but I want a rectangular or oval bowl, I think.

In the top (and bottom)picture on this page, the large bowls have
'handles' How exactly does this work? You can't knead and hold the
bowl at the same time. Does this type of handle serve another purpose?
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/chicago/inspiration/uses-for-wooden-bread-bowls-042719
BTW, doncha just love the "Uses"? While it says they were once used for
kneading dough, it doesn't suggest that you use them now for such..lol..

http://thompsonbaskets.aic-fl.com/Dough%20Bowls.htm
http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=1528
http://www.olivebarn.com/wooden-bread-bowl-9902.html

I love the comment by sally who wondered how helpful these bowls
were..lol..but anyway, this page has a biscuit bowl with an indented
hand hold on the bottom. That would seem more useful
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cooking/msg0721420720170.html
Were these bowls really used sitting down-kneading in your lap??
Perhaps the 'handles' on the large bowls above are to brace the bowl
against a table leg or something?

What would be the advantage of a bowl with handles vs something like
this one?
http://www.software2u.net/Antique-Wooden-Biscuit-Bowl,i130265911685,c37942.html
That one appeals to me for aesthetic reasons.

This guy makes shallow bowls. I read that they should be 4" deep. Is
that to insulate yeast breads? Why would I want either a shallow or a
deep bowl?
http://www.carvedwoodbowls.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page4.html

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda
http://www.myspace.com/tervetuloa13