homestead - [Homestead] Jersey cows

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Jersey cows
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 20:07:59 -0700

On Nov 26, 2008, at 6:27 PM, Marie McHarry wrote:

I had a Jersey cow once. I would set her milk out after milking, with
or without adding some cultured buttermilk. It produced wonderful
clabbered milk or cultured buttermilk respectively. The cream, of
course, rose to the top; I used that in place of sour cream. I've been
indifferent to commercial sour cream since. Oh my, that was good
stuff.

If one can use the production one way or another and is amenable to the twice-a-day milking requirement, there is nothing better than a small Jersey cow for family dairy needs. And they are so sweet they are kissable.