homestead - Re: [Homestead] lost cultures, was SE PA

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] lost cultures, was SE PA
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:03:16 -0500

Jeanne Driese wrote:
James, Spoken like a true native of TN! My life in TN started in 1979
and I could write books about what I have learned about "how to do things" in TN. These folks are the best and are very wiling to share their ways with you. It was my privilege to learn how to grow tobacco
without any poison from a old timer!

TN, north GA, and I'm guessing the mountains of the Carolinas and KY,
VA, etc.
The old ways are dying. We need yet another Foxfire series. I bought
the collection as a present to myself some years back, but I haven't
made a good dent in reading them. It's on my list for the winter.
In addition to mountain lore, I'd say it would be very interesting to
read about the Gullah/Geechee communities of coastal SC/GA as well as
the Cajun/Creole bayou swamp culture in MS/LA. If I had to leave the
mountains-if they disappeared, the place to go to provide food for
yourself and be left alone, is, I think, the swamp/bayou/low country.
The writers of the world need to stop writing fluff romance novels and
start recording history of vanishing peoples, whether indigenous groups
like Native Americans or adaptive groups like the Irish mountain people
or the Gullah.

Bev
hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda