homestead - Re: [Homestead] SE PA going to identifiable non-cash smartcardsfortransporta...

  • From: "Jeanne Driese" <jeanne13 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] SE PA going to identifiable non-cash smartcardsfortransporta...
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 13:21:50 -0500

James,
Spoken like a true native of TN!
My life in TN started in 1979 and I could write books about what I have
learned about "how to do things" in TN. These folks are the best and are very
wiling to share their ways with you.
It was my privilege to learn how to grow tobacco without any poison from a
old timer! An organization I belong to had a person who set out 2 acres of
tobacco and then had to leave the area due to an illness in the family. So
one of the old timers who knew how to do it was our teacher. It was a
tremendous experience as well as a lot of work and I bet I could still tell
you when the tobacco is in case and ready to be finished!
A lot of the vets around here are not in favor of NAIS and folks just figure
out how to do things anyway.
A book I would like to recommend is called "Everything I Want to Do is
Illegal"
War Stories From the Local Food Front, by Joel Salatin. Here is a man who
has made a living on his farm. His fame did not come till later after he
actually had the experience and know how. Now he basically teaches and
speaks while his son works the farm.
Jeanne
tnhillwoman
North East TN zone 6