homestead - Re: [Homestead] SE PA going to identifiable non-cashsmartcardsfortransporta...

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] SE PA going to identifiable non-cashsmartcardsfortransporta...
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:07:09 EST

> >Once they are butchered, I can
> net over $1000/bull in beef sales. That's the difference between regular
> economics and old-style 'pastoral economics'...money I didn't spend is not
> loss to me.

And it's the difference between the agribusiness model and the pastoral or
homestead model.

Let me round the numbers for convenience's sake and say Lynn has $90 worth of
hay along with the $10 purchase price. That's $100 at risk. Let's suppose
over X period of time she has ten of these bulls. If one sickens and dies
late
in the operation (rare, since farm animals that are going to die generally
die young, guess the never heard that James Taylor song). That's still $1000
at
risk grossing $9000.

So what if one is lost??

But in the agribusiness where feed, labor, medicine, interest on the loans
totals $950 and you are hoping to get $50 out of the deal, in a likewise unit
of
10 bulls, the loss of one means you are $500 in the hole on the operation.

The difference in the models is vast.

James