homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homesteading sans spouse

  • From: Cathy <goosecreekfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homesteading sans spouse
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 19:38:29 -0500

Bob- My extended family think I'm a little addled for not pursuing the
upwardly mobile thing. My people were tenant farmers just a couple of
generations ago. My parents were the first in their family to finish high
school, etc. I get why my life choices confuse them.

Shopping second-hand, making your own stuff, and
being sustainability-conscious are very in among the college aged crowd
around here, so my kids don't stand out for that. What I can tell they
picked up from being forced to live with me all these years <g> is knowing
that they can make choices, that they are making choices, and that there are
many options.

Bummer for them, right now the knowledge seems to be more than a little
overwhelming.

Cathy