homestead - Re: [Homestead] Sweet Potato harvest

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Sweet Potato harvest
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 07:17:08 -0700

On Nov 12, 2008, at 7:05 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Two other iffy factors in this climate are rainfall, they will not grow in
the dry, and deer. Deer will detect that you have a patch of sweet potatoes
from five miles away and come to eat off all the foliage.

Five miles, wow. Hadn't heard that before. Never had a problem of deer eating sweet potato foliage at Heartwood. I wonder if it might not have to do with the type of browse available. Higher elevations usually have less browse, maybe that's why, or maybe it has to do with moisture. Or the Dax and Benny effect when Dax was alive, although this last summer it was the same, lush growth, no deer.

Sweet potatoes are one of the no-brainer dependable groceries at Heartwood. Whether by slips or more often the left-over small ones that weren't eaten, I just loosen the ground, stick them in, give water to get them started and then forget about them until the first frost.

One of the things I like about sweet potatoes in the garden is that the lush foliage means no weeds.