homestead - Re: [Homestead] Sweet Potato harvest

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Sweet Potato harvest
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 16:07:55 -0700

On Nov 12, 2008, at 3:55 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

The first thing you should note from this thread is that I am a sucky sweet
potato grower. I'd use caution listening to anything I have to say about it.
Marie and Gene are more successful than I am and I think I've got a lot of
reviewing of my sweet potato husbandry at this point.

I am more inclined to believe that growing sweet potatoes well is due less to gardener ability and more to garden soil, location and weather. For instance, a garden that slopes southeast warms more quickly in the spring. Paradoxically, the good gardening practice of heavy winter mulch insulates the soil and slows down springtime soil warming considerably. Moisture, while somewhat under the control of the gardener through irrigation, is more effective when it comes naturally from the sky, bringing nitrogen and applying itself broadly. And certainly, latitude and elevation play strong roles in garden bed heat not only early but throughout the summer gardening season.