homestead - Re: [Homestead] Sweet Potato harvest

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Sweet Potato harvest
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 07:24:32 -0700

On Nov 12, 2008, at 7:46 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Our springs have
varied wildly in the last few years, but as long as hard frosts are
past, the sweet potatoes hang in there.

When is he date of your usual last frost?

April 10th-to-20th at Heartwood. First frost is same dates in October, but often very light then. So, a full six month growing season, and while I do not yet depend on it, it seems to be lengthening.

If I had a shorter growing season I would extend it--choose a protected SE slope, rake back all mulch, cover ground with black sheet plastic, wait out a few sunny days and/or use thermometer probe to tell me when to poke holes in the plastic to insert little sweet potatoes, not slips.

I hate deteriorated plastic so would look for something that biodegrades.