homestead - Re: [Homestead] The longest post yet-Anger

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The longest post yet-Anger
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 18:24:52 -0500

{Not from Roy}

Well, that was not meant to go to the whole list, and for that I do apologize.

I very rarely wrote Spanish, and even more rarely found it necessary to read it. My Spanish is basically terrible, and limited to things like, "Please give that horse more hay" and "He needs an extra blanket."

Although I do think James deserves respect in terms of his homesteading, I cannot fathom why he would think it necessary to quiz me to "redeem" myself or make him believe anything about me. I do not owe him any explanations of my experiences with the Mexican people that I worked with (who, in general, spoke much better English than I do Spanish) which is what he asked me for, after much going on bout how he is a brother under the skin, yadda yadda yadda....

Whether or not my written Spanish is up to James' grading doesn't make any damn difference in my original point, which is this:

It is offensive to generalize the behaviour of an entire group of people based on colour.
Yes, it makes sense that *some* people in any geographic/socio- economic situation are going to behave in the same way, but to patronize "all the poor black people" who (paraphrased) ...too stupid to understand there aren't going to be immediate government handouts is... not within the purview of James' given expertise in homesteading.

It's great to have a snug (smug) little house, but most houses look out on a whole world.