homestead - Re: [Homestead] Wild water

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Wild water
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 23:43:10 -0500

On Nov 5, 2008, at 7:44 PM, <eureka AT hctc.net> <eureka AT hctc.net> wrote:

... Looking into the well, ...t the
water flows east to west ...
What about a pipe with metal "wings" or a scoop like
appendage at the bottom that could direct the flow into
the pipe?

My guess* is that the water might rise in such a pipe just part of an inch. The principle is that the motion energy of the water gets turned into height energy. Notice how fast water comes out of a hose. Point the hose end straight up and see (or imagine) how far into the air the water goes.

Maybe a paddle wheel could run a pump to move a very small amount of water up the the surface or into the house. This might be plenty. I visited a very basic cabin near home when I was a kid. There was a slanted trough from the stream into the kitchen where the water poured very slowly into an open wood tank about the size of a breadbox, at the edge of the sink. The pencil thin stream provided all the water the one resident needed, and made a lovely soft sound. The fellow would very reverently dip out what he needed, being careful to keep the dipper and tank clean.

*(By some odd circumstances, I did study fluid dynamics at MIT, but it was at a very introductory level, and most of 30 years ago.)

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net
529 Cobb St.