homestead - Re: [Homestead] Wild water

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Wild water
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 09:17:57 -0500

A ram pump requires head and flow; the comibnation of the two
determines delivery volume and pressure.

There are three types of "head" (fluid dynamically speaking):

Elevation head: the water has energy because it's higher up than something else.

Velocity head: The water has energy because its a mass in motion.

Pressure head: It has energy because of the pressure it has.

I have no experience with ram pumps, but it seems that they use two of the three kinds of head. I'm guessing that they use a certain amount of water to move a smaller amount of water up. I am pretty sure that ram jet engines for rockets and the like are extremely inefficient, but that may not apply at all to water ram pumps.

I imagine that hydro-electric turbines, as at the Hoover Dam, are very carefully designed to use the most they can of all three types of head.

Roy

The source water is typically
at least several feet above the ram pump. Such a condition is
impossible in that forty-foot tube down to an underground stream.