homestead - Re: [Homestead] Wild water

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Wild water
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 07:18:30 -0500

> Maybe divining is not a skill you learn, but rather one that you
> uncover and practice. Same as what you meant maybe. I have a sense
> that divining is something you either can do (most of us maybe) or
> can't do (those few with a truly unbelieving attitude included.)

My grandmother claimed you had to have the devil in you to witch water. My
father could do it and showed me how. I could never get the wand to move
like he did, maybe if I had kept it up. We had a well drilling outfit and
he would witch the location and we always hit water.

As a side note, those wells were drilled in the fifties. When I was in the
area a couple of years ago all were capped as were almost all other wells.
The problem is nitrate pollution. The area in NE Missouri is heavy corn
country and a heavy user of nitrogen fertilizer.

Don Bowen KI6DIU