homestead - Re: [Homestead] Wild water

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Wild water
  • Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 19:21:23 -0600

Didn't Edward Abbey write about those petroglyphs/pictographs in one of his books before Lake Powell was made? When I visited it was still high water, kind of a surreal, spooky place.

The aquifer has its own governmental authority, and its levels are frequently reported in the paper just like the weather. But as rural homesteaders, we are very concerned that San Antonio is trying to buy water rights in our area. It is one of the most populous cities in the U.S., and the only one of its size entirely dependent on an aquifer. We are also concerned that a golf course was built downstream from us two years ago. I'm sure you know how ridiculous it is to sustain one in the desert. They say they drilled down into a deeper aquifer known as the Glen Rose, but if that were the case the greens should be smelling like rotten eggs and dying from the sulfur unless they are conditioning it first in some way.

Overall, the aquifer suffers from rampant development throughout the Hill Country. One of the disadvantages of our Senate District is politically we are in the same one as San Antonio.

--Sage

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 15:02:22 -0800 (PST)