homestead - Re: [Homestead] Additional Rice Information

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Additional Rice Information
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 15:49:36 EST

> >Every rice cooked the wrong way in my house can come out
> sticky.

Fluffy rice that is as loose as a bowl of maggots is apparently a western
thing. Some say it was fabricated in the 50's in order to sell parboiled
rice
(like Minute Rice [I accidentally typed Manure Rice]) to try to make every
disadvantage into an advantage.

On several occasions oreintal relatives or friends have cooked rice the
"right" way and it is either soupy or else very sticky so that it can form
balls.

James