homestead - Re: [Homestead] Additional Rice Information

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Additional Rice Information
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 13:47:07 -0500

eureka AT hctc.net wrote:
Bev thanks for all the typing! Whew! Some more good info.

Well, I checked out Southern Exposure, but the only rice seed they offer now is sticky rice. I did end up ordering some sorghum, hulless oat, and clover seed from them.

If I understood what I have been reading, sticky rice is a short grain, which implies a shorter growing season. Did they say how many days to maturity?

Polit Farms looks like they just sell bags for eating. If it can indeed be planted from a bag for consumption, I might do better to search out Lowell's brown rice from our local grocery because it is grown in Alvin, TX (gulf coast) so might be better acclimatized to us.

Or, for the little bit that you need, you might find a farmer who is willing to lose a pound or two of grain.

We have plenty of clean water and days above 70 degrees. We have all winter to muck it up with sheep poop and composting in place, although maybe it would be better to haul some dirt and plant a cover crop. I'll document my rice experiment on my blog once it gets going. First, I need to make sure this thing does hold water. Besides the side drain holes we will plug, there's a drain at the bottom and we have no idea how that works or where that goes...

I cant' wait.

--
“Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda