homestead - Re: [Homestead] Additional Rice Information

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Additional Rice Information
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 14:26:05 -0700

On Nov 4, 2008, at 2:05 PM, bob ford wrote:

I assume you were there in the late 50's to early/mid sixties, did you visit Mt. Fuji?. That seems to be my memory of what relatives did in japan (that they could talk about) ....bobford

I was at Camp Zama, Japan from April 1955 to September 1957. Each weekday morning we fell into reveille formation in the street in front of the barracks. Over one's right shoulder was a lovely, unobstructed view of Mount Fuji. I always planned to climb. I never did. Yet another example of the mistake of thinking there is always plenty of time.

Memories? Many. I like the Japanese people very much. Very respectful. My most memorable trip was to Osaka, Nara, Kamakura. Never will forget climbing up inside the Great Bhudda and looking out one of the eyes. The Kinkakugi--Golden Pavilion. A warlord's sleeping house with surrounding "nightingale floor," on which no one could walk without causing the floor boards to chirp, a design to wake the warlord's bodyguard who sat at his bedroom door, his sword at the ready.

Good memories.