homestead - Re: [Homestead] Additional Rice Information

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Additional Rice Information
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 10:37:10 -0600

Bev thanks for all the typing! Whew! Some more good info.

Well, I checked out Southern Exposure, but the only rice seed they offer now is sticky rice. I did end up ordering some sorghum, hulless oat, and clover seed from them. Polit Farms looks like they just sell bags for eating. If it can indeed be planted from a bag for consumption, I might do better to search out Lowell's brown rice from our local grocery because it is grown in Alvin, TX (gulf coast) so might be better acclimatized to us.

We have plenty of clean water and days above 70 degrees. We have all winter to muck it up with sheep poop and composting in place, although maybe it would be better to haul some dirt and plant a cover crop. I'll document my rice experiment on my blog once it gets going. First, I need to make sure this thing does hold water. Besides the side drain holes we will plug, there's a drain at the bottom and we have no idea how that works or where that goes...

--Sage
Way Out in Texas

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 23:36:56 -0500