homestead - Re: [Homestead] Vote!

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Vote!
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 15:48:30 -0500

I voted at 10am this morning. There were only a few cars in the parking
lot, no line at the tables, but all four booths were occupied by voters.
By the time I showed ID and got my car, I was voting. No waiting.
I took a moment to ask how many registered voters were assigned to the
precinct, the answer 510..I asked what the average turnout was, and they
volunteered that the most that have ever shown up was 200. At 10am, she
said that I was number 189, and before we left, at least 10 additional
people had arrived, so the old turnout record was broken, and of course
that doesn't count the month of early voting we have had, or absentee
balloting.
While I was there, I really almost lost my composure. A little old lady
came in who had never voted before. She could barely walk and needed
help to vote. She was black, and 87 years old. She voted for Obama,
and was smiling the whole time. It really affected me...
But anyway, no one asked if I was Rep or Dem..I signed a card and I
provided a photo ID..

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
Well, I voted. When I got there at 9am, there were more cars than I'd
ever seen there during elections. There were 7 or 8 people ahead of me, but we had a really short ballot this year, so the line moved fast (I was #165). Most people spent more time deciding what to buy at the bake sale than they spent voting (that's why there were so many cars and so few people in line to vote). I didn't know any of the poll workers this year, but they didn't ask for ID. I had to sign
the book, and they compared it to my signature from my registration.
We have the ^%(& touchscreen machines with no visible paper
trail...I have to take it's word that it recorded my vote properly.
Grrr.

how Windows Mobile brings your life together—at home, work, or on
the go. http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/msnnkwxp1020093182mrt/direct/01/
View the archives at: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/homestead