homestead - Re: [Homestead] Additional Rice Information

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Additional Rice Information
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:15:15 -0600

Alpine is named because it has the highest altitude of any Texas town, and has the coolest summer temps around. There's a neat culture of artsy people in the triangle between Alpine, Ft. Davis, and Marfa. (For an interesting aside, check out the mysterious Marfa lights, which I've seen several times). I'd enjoy living there, but the nearest big towns are pretty far away, and they are all extremely right wing conservative.

Las Cruces is at least a 9 hour drive and Austin only 4. It takes at least a day for me to get out of the state, but only an hour to get out of the country. Most people do not realize that from the Louisiana border to El Paso is about equal to El Paso to the Los Angeles.

--Sage

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 06:54:52 -0800 (PST)