homestead - Re: [Homestead] window quilts

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] window quilts
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 19:10:01 -0700

On Oct 29, 2008, at 6:41 PM, keith bellinger wrote:

Thank you Sue, for the great description of how much sewing is involved
in making window quilts. I like Gene's idea for simplicity and for the
fact I don't own a sewing machine. There are several similar
shutter-like examples in my book that I had long forgotten. Gene, where
do you stash the Celotex when not in use, under the bed perhaps? This
might be a deciding factor in my greenhouse; may have to build a big
drawer into the crawlspace for them. Hmmm...

We just lean them against the wall, doubled up in the corner during low-use periods. Depending on how tall they are you might lay them on their long side. An advantage of covering with material color or pattern that complements something in the room is that it creates a synchronicity of style. Like that is really critical for homesteaders, hah!, but, hey, who says we can't have low-cost high-style?

Btw, Chris secured the wrapped-around edges with packing tape. She left the back side of the foil-faced Celotex uncovered so it can be used to reflect heat back toward the room in winter or to reflect heat toward the outside in the hottest part of the summer.

Another design item: if they fit really snug they are tricky to pull out. You can create a protruding loop of packing tape to grab onto or you can slip in any piece of cloth, like a handkerchief, to grab and pull the panel out.