homestead - Re: [Homestead] I know I can't be a Yankee..

  • From: Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] I know I can't be a Yankee..
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 21:00:46 -0400

Hi Keith! I've never made window quilts, so I'm making it up as I go
along. I know they should be weighted on the bottom so they hang against
the window frame. I'm not getting very fancy. The front is a real quilt
because being cheap...er..frugal...I'm using remnants I've been
collecting from the $.25 table at Goodwill. There are two quilts, 5'x 9'
each, to cover banks of windows in my enclosed porch. They let in lots
of warmth on a sunny afternoon, but lots of cold at night.

I'm thinking of wool batting as insulation, because I have lots of it
and it's free. I have a table carder, so I can make batts pretty easily.
Add a cheap sheet on the back and tie the whole thing every few inches
to hold the wool in place, like an old-fashioned quilt. I plan to add
rings in the back to thread a rope and pull it up to open it.

Lynn Wigglesworth