homestead - Re: [Homestead] window quilts and other movable insulation

  • From: keith bellinger <bartermn AT epix.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] window quilts and other movable insulation
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 09:21:51 -0400

Thanks again Susan for some good tips. Another thing I don't really like about window quilts (that fold like blinds) is the room the fold takes at the top of the window. The windows in the greenhouse don't have any room to spare at the top; they'd be permanently shaded even more than the low soffit already does. Probably not so bad if this was Dixie. :)

Keith B --cleaning the chimney today.

SJC wrote:
I'm using fabric-covered foam in windows and a couple of doors where I only need to put it up and down infrequently (attic, extra room, basement door, etc), and just have the wq rigs in rooms where I want or need to have them in different positions as the day goes along. I have a couple of smaller ones that I made a fabric "hinge" on, so that when I go into that room in the daytime and need a little light I can just pull down the top half, let it dangle, and then pop it back up when I want. I use those for the room where I keep some daylight-sensitive plants and it's a good compromise between the cost of the wq and convenience of the foam.

I'm sure you'll find just the right thing for your own windows/openings in Shurcliff. Stay warm!

--
For by your words you will be justified Keith Bellinger
And by your words you will be condemned bartermn AT epix.net