homestead - [Homestead] thermal shutters and shades

  • From: keith bellinger <bartermn AT epix.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] thermal shutters and shades
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 10:58:46 -0400

I reached chapter 17 in Thermal Shutters and Shades last night and resumed this morning.

Dr. William A. Shurcliff begins this chapter with your everyday roll-up window shades, stating that they can reduce heat loss by 20 percent. I quit reading. There are several old roll-up maps in the barn. I closed the book and went treasure hunting.

I found three, all sized just a bit larger than my windows. Published by Denoyer-Geppert in 1960; a civil war, reconstruction, abolition, cotton production, per capita wealth map; a western movement and colonial commerce and industries map; and a Europe 1916 and Napoleon map. Googled, they sell for about three hundred bucks apiece.

So, I'll go back to my book now but suspect that if I glue aluminum foil to the backs of my maps they will reduce heat loss by about fifty percent (if sealed well at all edges of course). There must be a modern film that I can buy instead that's easier to apply and probably more efficient. My book is outdated in that respect.

I could probably sell the maps and use the money to buy something more modern I suppose but would it have the inset drawing of the Virginia Campaigns with a scale of 13 miles to an inch?

--
For by your words you will be justified Keith Bellinger
And by your words you will be condemned bartermn AT epix.net