homestead - Re: [Homestead] Was Snow -- waffle house

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Was Snow -- waffle house
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 12:45:09 -0700 (PDT)

Bev, this is what I was talking about .....bobf

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3190/is_n15_v26/ai_12140623

Waffle House adds twist to all-you-can-eat
Nation's Restaurant News, April 13, 1992 by Jack HayesE-mail Print Link
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- While the giant KFC Corp. readies a statewide
all-you-can-eat buffet promotion with area franchisees, Waffle House
operators here and in other markets across the south are continuing their own
all-you-can-eat "off-the-grill" specials to boost sales and also stop
turnover on the sluggish second shift.

"Ours isn't all-you-can-eat buffet -- it's all-you-can-eat off the menu,"
said Bobby Younger, division manager for 24-unit Arkansas Waffles, a local
franchisee of the 620-unit Atlanta-based family restaurant chain. "We started
experimenting with all-you-can-eat before KFC ever thought of it."

Related Results
Trust, E-innovation and Leadership in Change
Foreign Banks in United States Since World War II: A Useful Fringe
Building Your Brand With Brand Line Extensions
The Impact of the Structure of Debt on Target Gains
Project Management Standard Program The all-you-can-eat specials here
showcase Waffle House's many signature breakfast plates and side items, plus
soups, sandwiches and salads. Excluded are more expensive steak, chicken and
pork items -- as well as take-out and meal sharing.

Another feature of the all-you-can-eat special, which is aimed at evening
family business, is a $1.99 price for children 10 and under. Beverages aren't
included.

Crediting Waffle House operations vice president Steve Wright with bringing
the all-you-can-eat idea to this region, Younger said the original 5 p.m. to
8:30 p.m. value promotion helped reverse a poor sales and high turnover trend
that hurt second shift performance.

"I think Steve's taken a lot of heat on this idea, because not all of the
franchisees are for it," said Younger. "But we've found that it works."

While Waffle House officials in Atlanta refused to talk about the chain's
price deals, the all-you-can-eat promotion was first instituted as a
recession remedy over a year ago and has been offered in various forms by
operators in different markets.

In Destin, Fla., which lies on the Gulf of Mexico's north coast, the
all-you-can-eat Waffle House deal was being promoted during all three shifts.
The Waffle House units typically operate 24 hours.

Some stores here are stretching the special from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m. -- and
inviting kids to eat free.

"When we discontinued it, the shift [sales] went way down," said district
manager Jamie Hodges.

"The second shift [at the Forrest City, Ark., unit on Interstate 40 between
Little Rock and Memphis, Tenn.] was only doing $200 -- but now it's up to
$700."

COPYRIGHT 1992 Reproduced with permission of the copyright holder. Further
reproduction or distribution is prohibited without permission.
COPYRIGHT 2008 Gale, Cengage Learning