homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dorpers and Katahdins

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dorpers and Katahdins
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 22:03:55 -0400

> The reason we raised sheep, and will raise them again is for the lamb.
> I can eat lamb once a week...love it. Of course, I can't afford to buy
> it but once a year.
>
> Bev

I've never had home grown lamb, but I've had store bought. It was
strong flavored (I guess, it had a strong flavor). Is that normal or
just what I got at the supermarket?

I eat young goat and it's not nearly so strong, I've never had store
bought goat meat.

I kept two Boer doelings, one came in heat yesterday. Her sis should
be in heat soon. Looking at my 6 month old very well bred Nubian
buckling next to my 5 month cull boer wethers, I'd sure rather eat
them. He looks like Bambi, all legs. they are shorter and meatier.
Wether is cooler now and two of them are going in the freezer soon. I
hope the crosses with a dairy buck and meat doe work out for next
year.

Rob - Va