homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dorpers and Katahdins

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dorpers and Katahdins
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 22:23:37 -0400

I've never had home grown lamb, but I've had store bought. It was
strong flavored (I guess, it had a strong flavor). Is that normal or
just what I got at the supermarket?

I think what is sold at the store is closer to mutton than lamb. I think the animal can be almost 2 years old and still technically called lamb, but in my mind, a lamb is under a year old. When buying lamb at the store, I pick the smallest leg.

I eat young goat and it's not nearly so strong, I've never had store
bought goat meat.

I ate my wethers, and I believe they were more gamey/strong than either my lamb or deer.

Bev
--
“Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda