homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dorpers and Katahdins

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dorpers and Katahdins
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 08:38:25 -0800

That is another reason youngest decided on St. Croix. They are good for milking and with the udder set you can side milk them just like a goat. I'm not fond of milking from the back! <g>

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <paxamicus AT earthlink.net>

snip<
Oddly, one thing I would be interested in is trying my hand at sheep
milk's cheese....it's pretty hard to find fresh soft cheeses around
here, but...BIG but, that's a long way off. I'm not even close to
thinking about it yet.

MY first time ewes got mostly twins, a few singles, and one set of
trips which were then orphaned, and which we successfully bottle
raised to maturity.

I selected for color so I could tell them apart. Ha!