homestead - Re: [Homestead] List politics

  • From: Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] List politics
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 13:21:44 -0400

Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:

> I hope my vote truly counts. But with persistent voting machine problems,
> with thousands of people having been purged who won't learn they have until
> too late and the myriad of other problems surrounding the vote, the whole
> thing makes me suspicious and cynical, like voting is a ritual we do because
> we wish to exercise that Right, when mostly I'm starting to think the whole
> act of voting for President is a drama played every four years because we
> expect as much.

It's starting already:
http://wvgazette.com/News/200810180380

Voters allege ballot trouble
More say machines changing their votes

By Paul J. Nyden
Staff writer

WINFIELD - Three Putnam County voters say electronic voting machines
changed their votes from Democrats to Republicans when they cast early
ballots last week.

This is the second West Virginia county where voters have reported this
problem. Last week, three voters in Jackson County told The Charleston
Gazette their electronic vote for "Barack Obama" kept flipping to "John
McCain."

In both counties, Republicans are responsible for overseeing elections.
Both county clerks said the problem is isolated.

They also blamed voters for not being more careful.

http://windowslive.com/connect/post/wedowindowslive.spaces.live.com-Blog-cns!20EE04FBC541789!167.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_092008