homestead - Re: [Homestead] Scary as h*ll

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Scary as h*ll
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 00:06:29 -0500

> From: "EarthNSky" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>>
>>

>> A question for you Lynn...how many months can a person live off of one
>> beef cow, properly processed with no waste, i.e. soup bones used, blood
>> used, etc.>>I'm not Lynn but I grew up with a cow-calf operation (and then
>> when my father finally decided that delivering calves at 3 am by tractor
>> light was a real PIA, a finishing operation). We always had plenty of
>> beef. When I was young and had only a baby sister, it took us a year to
>> eat a thousand-pound (on the hoof) steer. I'm not sure how much of that
>> went to grandparents who always helped with the butchering, but they
>> butchered their own so maybe not much.

When we became a family of six with four children we consumed two
steers. And sometimes at the end of the 12-month after butchering
we'd, to my dad's utter disgust (it was the money), have to buy meat.
Plus, we ate lots of chicken (I might have trouble field dressing a
moose, but I can do a chicken blindfolded) and pork from the pigs that
we butchered as a family (my great uncle had a smoke house and he and
his brothers learned how to do it from their father who was a butcher
in Germany).

As if in a revelation it comes to me, we were carnivores of the first order.

Marie