homestead - Re: [Homestead] Scary as h*ll

  • From: Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Scary as h*ll
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 16:15:31 -0400

EarthNSky wrote:
> Do you think everyone is entitled to a paid vacation and health insurance?
> I don't think too many people get paid vacations, and I certainly don't
> think it should be an entitlement.

I think everyone should be entitled to time off from work and affordable
health care. Being the only adult on a farm, I can't take time off if I
want to; there are too many living things that depend on me here. I've
never had a job where I didn't get at least 2 weeks paid vacation and
health insurance; maybe I've just been lucky. I wouldn't mind paying for
my own healthcare if things didn't cost so much; fortunately I've only
needed a doctor once in the past 20 years (even my pregnancies were
handled entirely by midwives). I can't afford to be sick or injured (or,
rather, I can't afford to see a doctor for it).

> A question for you Lynn...how many months can a person live off of one
> beef cow, properly processed with no waste, i.e. soup bones used, blood
> used, etc.

My cows (young and smaller than commercial cows) produce about 350
pounds of meat, plus organ meat and soup bones. I don't know about the
blood because I don't get it back; the hide as well. We eat beef a
couple times a week, and one cow would probably last us a year.

http://windowslive.com/connect/post/wedowindowslive.spaces.live.com-Blog-cns!20EE04FBC541789!167.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_092008