homestead - Re: [Homestead] Scary as h*ll

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Scary as h*ll
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 20:37:37 -0800

Even with canning and dehydrating, you would have too much meat for one person unless they ate it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, desert and for snacks inbetween. The average steer that goes into the average butcher shop weighs at least 250 a quarter (more for a hind). A half a beef would feed one person for more than a year!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "EarthNSky" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>>

It doesn't have to be that way...many hands make light work. One thing
I have learned from homesteading is that one animal, whether it is a
pig, a chicken, a goat, or even a mule(for plowing) can provide a lot of
food for a good many people. Everyone on this list is oft challenged by
how to make the best use of the excess-either they sell it, they process
it(like making cheese and soap) or they feed other animals with it.
Do you think everyone is entitled to a paid vacation and health insurance?
I don't think too many people get paid vacations, and I certainly don't
think it should be an entitlement.
Health insurance, if the society you speak of existed, where people ate
what they grew and raised, then we would see a lot less serious diseases
and health care would amount to little more than well care and emergency
care.
A question for you Lynn...how many months can a person live off of one
beef cow, properly processed with no waste, i.e. soup bones used, blood
used, etc.

Bev

--
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from
the government and I'm here to help.'" Ronald Reagan