homestead - Re: [Homestead] What else can you do but laugh?

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] What else can you do but laugh?
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 19:20:34 -0400

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
EarthNSky wrote:

I think he says Obama is a herald for the Messiah, but regardless
of what he calls him, I think it is clear that the Nation of Islam
is 100% behind Obama, and I think the Islamic world as a whole is
behind Obama.

I don't see that as a problem. If someone of Japanese decent was running, Japan would be cheering him on.

But but but, Obama is not a Black Muslim, is he? He is a black
Christian, right? He is Kenyan American, as I am Finnish American. We
each have American mothers and foreign fathers.

JFK had a nice speech about
religion and the presidency (it was a Big Deal that he was Catholic...people said he'd take orders from the Pope if he was made
president): http://www.quotedb.com/speeches/greater-houston-ministerial-association

Yeah, well, I know it was RC that held the Inquisition, but in recent
history, what Catholic country or group were we at war with in 1960? As
I recall, the enemy back then was the Godless Communist....so at least
Kennedy had God (and the Pope) going for him in the election...now, if
he had been an atheist, like the communists we were fighting(Cold War or
Indochina, same same) then you could compare apples.

I don't trust them, either. I try to read both the far left and far right, and assume the truth is somewhere in the middle. I check factcheck.org often; they seem to be fairly unbiased.

I check websites like the BBC and Al Jazeera and RIA Novosti, too:

http://en.rian.ru/
http://english.aljazeera.net/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/

Ironically, Al Jazeera is one of my favorites....

I'm wondering what
about the coverage of the Edwards affair you didn't like? Is it that
it had to be beaten to death in a scandal rag before any mainstream
press picked it up?

I thought the days of the media keeping secrets were gone. I know, for
example, that the press knew of FDR's handicap, but the public did
not...I thought in this day and age of helos stalking Brittney, in the
days when a Princess is killed in a paparazzi chase, that we could
depend on the press to bring us the nitty gritty, the sleeze, if nothing
else. I was wrong. In two years, nothing was leaked...No one pays
attention to the National Enquirer, but perhaps we should..(recall that
line in Men in Black about the NE).. If the mainstream press can stay
in pocket on the sleeze for years, then how can we trust them to tell us
the truth on a matter in a timely way, like before an election, when we
need the truth to make a decision!?! It raises the question of who
asked them to be quiet and who has so much power that the media can be
bought off for years? It is a scary thing.

Bev

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from
the government and I'm here to help.'" Ronald Reagan