homestead - Re: [Homestead] Christian faith

  • From: rayzentz AT aim.com
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Christian faith
  • Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 17:02:08 -0400

Actually, that would be 1830. ;-)

Seriously, Mormons had to deal with that same intolerance from "christians" around them. Persecution was the reason they left the US, and went to Utah. That is one thing that is so infuriating about where I live now. "Utah Mormons" are some of the most intolerant people I know. They should know better. Mormons elsewhere are much more of the "Live and let live" types, although there are always exceptions.

It's funny, but I have long hair and a beard. I am always getting strange looks from people, particularly in church. I actually had some one tell me once that if I was ever selected to be a Bishop, I would have to cut my hair, and be clean shaven. My response was, "No, I won't. God knows I have a beard, and the long hair. If he wants me, he gets me, hair and all. If the long hair disqualifies me, well, that's all right too".

The conversation kinda just ended there.

I have no desire to ever be a Bishop... ;-)

But no, I think christianity, as a whole, is no longer in the mindset it was. The same can't be said for all individuals, though.

Ray