homestead - Re: [Homestead] Destruction of America from within

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Destruction of America from within
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 13:41:38 -0500

On Oct 8, 2008, at 1:23 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

Now, Bev, you know that doesn't fly here. Examples from history and
his proposed programs, please.

From his programs? No can do..he doesn't have any experience with that,
just ideas on paper.

I said "proposed" programs. Not that I think they will happen soon. I am skeptical that he will be able to do much more than hold the fort for the next several years. He is walking into a thicket of messes. Wanting such a job is almost a definition of insanity.

An example from history is the domestic welfare
program. Almost every program that gives money to individuals could be
used as an example, even Medicaid and Medicare...programs become complex
and ripe with fraud and waste to the point that they no longer serve the
purpose they were designed for-a well intentioned idea that has paved
that famous road to Hell, leaving a shell of a plan that only the
poorest and most desperate HAVE to use, because there is no other
choice.

Amazingly, some programs are quite efficient. I am now trying to think of one or two. I know I heard about one the other day. Might have been the VA hospital program.

In that way, they become dependent on a Federal program.
The more money we hand out, the more dependent on that money people
become, whether it is a economic stimulus check, a farm subsidy, or even
a tax free holiday.

Well, sure. In that sense, we are all dependent on the government. This is our home. We depend on the government to maintain a military to protect us. Laws, roads, signs, the list is long; we are dependent on many things that we take for granted and we get upset when they disappear.

I know people who will do without waiting for
those, because they cannot afford things any other way. They are too
dependent on the benevolent actions of the government.
As for biting the hand, well, domestically, you have people in New
Orleans still demanding help years after the fact. What I was thinking
when I wrote that was more to the issue of foreign aid, however. How
much money do we give to countries that hate us and vote against us in
the UN in a tight vote?

Tell me.

Our 'friends' very often aren't our friends.
They have every right to vote or support what they choose, but so be it,
if that is the case, we stop scratching their backs, too.

In years past I was seriously upset with our foreign aid, most especially when I was having a tough time making it and paying taxes to support same. I have come to understand that the percentages are small and the reasons legion.

I am again reminded of my old hillbilly friend, Farrell Berry, who was wont to say, "If your can't use your neighbors, what good are they?"

Today, we are all neighbors.