homestead - Re: [Homestead] My ferrocement birdbath

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] My ferrocement birdbath
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 13:27:57 -0500

On Oct 8, 2008, at 12:46 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

Gene GeRue wrote:
On Oct 8, 2008, at 12:27 PM, EarthNSky wrote:
Have you ever experimented using algae or pond scum, mixed into the
concrete to color it?

No, I have not yet sunk that low.

Do you think it would work-impregnating the porosity with chlorophyl and
then sealing it to preserve it?

Dunno. You are the chemist.

My guess is it would quickly fade. UV is strong.

I wonder if those who work with yarns and textiles would have ideas on organic color sources.

I had great hopes some years back about using walnut husk as a stain. I put a bunch of walnuts in husk into the lower concrete floor of the East Wing and put some water on them. The husks made a beautiful brown stain on the concrete. Alas, it did not last, gradually just washed away.

I have recently had a pole barn built. We will do the concrete floor work in small squares, about four feet each side. Chris mixes; I pour and finish. There I will experiment with various stains and coloring techiques. We want a concrete floor in the Bed House I have designed and will build starting next year, so we want to find out what color techniques we like.