homestead - Re: [Homestead] Destruction of America from within

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Destruction of America from within
  • Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 13:08:34 -0400

Ok, let's back up.
First point is that I paraphrased a teacher I had.
Second point is that the comment was made circa 1973. :)
Third, I believe the comment was directed towards media, education, music, etc.
The teacher himself was product of the conservative values of the 1940's and 1950's. They were uber-conservative to the point, some say, of being repressed. I suppose those people of the 1950's were products of the Depression years. Anyway, music had a way of kicking down the wall, but anytime the country hits an extreme, it really doesn't take much of an impetus for things to turn in the other direction. I think we are seeing that now, to some degree. So Swampy was a 50's product who became culture shocked in the 60's when Liberalism ran amok. That trend continued into the 70's and even the 80's. It was necessary to bring us back towards the middle as a society, as a new generation.
Now, it is _my_ opinion that perhaps we have gone a bit too far with these ideals. I think we overshot somewhere and got too much of a good thing. Before you jump on my case, as much as I would LOVE to see everyone in America living in a little house with a nice garden plot and a picket fence out from, it just isn't going to happen because we are now too diverse. It is not the same world we grew up in. In this country alone, there are 3 times as many people as when I was growing up. It is easy to bring programs to homogeneous cultures, but not so easy when there are so many flavors in the salad bowl. That doesn't mean it is a bad thing, just a challenging thing. Simple solutions no longer work, and in complexity you get more government, more opportunity for corruption and more waste. It is a no win situation. So when the Democrats(Frank, Dodd etc) pushed Fannie and Freddie for equal lending a few years back, equal lending to the point where no one would be refused, IMO, that is an example of Liberalism as a tool of destruction, because look where we are today. And yet, still, regardless of R/D or C/L labels, we have politicians wanting to bail out even more people(referencing McCain's plan here).
Call me whatever, but I think it is time for the bailouts to stop. I think it is time that we stopped trying to help everyone under the sun and make them responsible for themselves. We should not be paying for people to rebuild on Bolivar and other places that are low lying barrier islands.
So, is that hateful...you may think so. It doesn't feel hateful to me. It feels like tough love for my fellow man. The more help we give to people, the more dependent they become and the less they do for themselves.
Your Revolutionary is all about doing more for the people of the world as well as Americans. We will make people more dependent on government with his programs; We will find more people turning to bite the hand that feeds them. We just need to stop. I don't know how, but we need to stop intervening in both countries and lives of Americans and allow people, the individual to make it or break it on their own, just as our homesteading ancestors did.

Bev