homestead - Re: [Homestead] What if OBama

  • From: rayzentz AT aim.com
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] What if OBama
  • Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 13:33:42 -0400

Did these friends use other names, in an attempt to "fit in" better? My brother hated (still does) his middle name, so he NEVER used it, and was angered when someone did. However, he has never changed it.

I agree with you on the prejudice. You are probably correct.

Two Brothers? called Bubba? How do you tell them apart? ;-)

I have a nephew who is called Bubba by his parents, and other family members. I use his name. Why? He asked me to.

I go by different names, in diferent circunstances. At school, for instance, I am called Dr Z by most, occasionally Mr. Z. Among friends, it's usually Ray, or Z. At home, it's mostly Dad, although "Schmuck" sometimes is used, as well. ;-)

However, these are names used by others. The only name I have ever chosen, is in the SCA, where I am known as Padruig McTavish.

When we choose to use a name, it is because we want to "fit in" with a particular group, or create a certain perception of ourselves. It's the why of this choice that is of most interest to me, not necessarily the name, itself.

Ray