homestead - Re: [Homestead] Short-term versus long-term

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Short-term versus long-term
  • Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 13:03:12 -0400

At night, I turn on CNN for an hour, then Fox for an hour. CNN is very liberal and very pro-Obama. Fox is very conservative and very anti-Obama. They are at opposite ends of the spectrum on politics. Both however, are entertaining, but lately, Fox has really, turned the heat on the economy, Democrats, and Obama. So with that disclaimer, last night on Fox News, I saw a really interesting show talking about history repeating itself because it is not taught adequately in schools. There were a couple of professors and others talking, so basically it was more or less a group editorial.
The first thing that was proposed was that history teaches us that Hoover(R) is the bad guy and basically FDR(D) came along to save the day with his programs and incentives. However, these guys had a different view. They believed that had we continued on with Hoover's non-intervention/free-market correction, that the GD would not have been so prolonged. They gave some figures on unemployment-I do recall the 25%, and they said that the stock market itself did not correct itself until the 1950's, well after WWII. This long recovery, they say, was unnecessary. Basically, they faced the same dilemma as we have today, and I wonder how much we have prolonged the agony with this bailout.
Without mentioning burger flipping specifically, they did allude to the unpreparedness of our college kids. The educational system sucks, and all money is put into Math and Science. History is suffering. The profs said that kids are taught by teachers who have a disdain for the USA, liberalism gone amok, basically, and create a sense of hatred in he kids, like anti-patriotism. The kids are not taught about the good things, only the bad, they don't understand why patriotism is important, yada yada. I can say that when I read my kids history books, that this is true: I was appalled at the lack of information and depth at the high school level. We take for granted that this new generation of 'leaders' is educated, but they are not. On the program, there was mention that many people were not aware that John McCain was a POW, for example. Not that this should be taught, but that there are huge gaps in learning and post public school experiences are not filling those gaps, so we end up with a uneducated populace making crucial decisions about our long term security when they don't have a clue about past problems or failed and viable solutions.
We are already owned by China, and Americans don't even know it.

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

I keep hearing blather about things are different this time because of Fed involvement and early intervention. Hell yes things are different this time, we have NO backup, NO plan B, NO effective safety net.

Plus we produce so little of value in this country (as you point out with fish and oil). We are a nation of burger-flippers and paper pushers. THAT legacy will come home to roost. It will be interesting to see if we can even exist without all the imports; I think we will find that we are owned by China and OPEC.

Lynn Wigglesworth