homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Dog

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Dog
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 09:44:31 -0800

The origin of the dogs is working stock. Both animal guardians and herding dogs. Most still have the guard the human's critters instincts.

Later they became police/military guard dogs. Just like the bully breeds, the "wrong" people got ahold of them in the 80s.

Adult or puppy, you need to know where it came from. Once a bloodline has been messed with, it will produce problems for generations.

Rotties have a mellow temperment that can be induced to be aggressive. There are a couple of kennels that breed them to work as Canine Companions and guide dogs, so obviously, the right bloodlines make for an excellent companion with no fear of aggression.

If you get an older dog, get one from a Rottie rescue. They'll know where the dog came from and they are *usually* VERY particular about placing the dog with a home that fits the dog and a dog that fits the home!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Roy Morgan" <k1lky AT earthlink.net>

[Not from Roy]

Oh OH...yup, big ol' second on Rotties...I've loved the few I've had
contact with. How are they with livestock, any idea?