homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Dog

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Dog
  • Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2008 04:23:39 -0400

We used to live at the edge of town and our place was for whatever reason a huge attraction to some undesirable elements of the local population. We had 3 Great Danes at the time, and one Bedlington terrier, all noisy and one of the Danes was fairly menacing....didn't make a whole lot of difference. Then we hit by accident on one of the better homestead 'dogs' I've had, only it wasn't a dog at all but a flock of about a half-dozen Toulouse geese. They are observant, noisy when on alert but quiet otherwise, not afraid of anything, and will keep people right in their cars, honking the horn for all it's worth, hollering "Come get these things". People on foot have no clue what to do with them, so they generally simply leave. They run off stray dogs/cats/other critters. They completely cut out the petty theft issue we'd been having before we got them, also the wandering, troublesome kids who were unsupervised all day every summer....No vet bills and good strawberry patch weeders, too. Of course, we did have to start picking our mail up at the PO because the mailman refused to deliver it......afraid of "those mean ducks". This was a guy who braved the neighborhood mutts without a thought.

They are hard on regular gardens, though, and have to be fenced out, and also I fenced them so they could surround the house, barn, and garage but not get to the steps; otherwise it was goose-poop covered steps...yuk. But all in all they were good at patrol and repelling, both. The only critter problem we had with them was that the geese are easy targets for a fox as they won't leave the nest, but usually the gander (they mate for life) sees to that. I was amazed at how long they live, by the time we moved from there and gave them to the folks moving in, several of them were over 20 y/o.

A lot of the Amish keep Airdale terriers for farm work. They can be pretty menacing (like most terriers they have big teeth, helps them look scary), are fairly large, smart animals, pretty territorial so stay close to home, good at vermin, hardy even in cold climates, and not hard on stock, but not herders, so easy to have around fowl, etc. A lot of the Amish also use them for small cart work. My uncle's had them for 70 years and still swears by them.

We had a so-called farm collie at one time and he was just OK, liked to roam too much even though castrated, and so was not always on the scene when needed, tended to protect livestock better than buildings. Many of the shepherd breeds are very territorial which is good, but so fixated on herding that your chickens won't be too thankful. We once had a dog that so throughly herded most of other critters that they couldn't get to their food for the dog herding them. Some, though, are not so intent on herding as to be a problem. A lot of people are ready-programmed to be afraid of a German Shepherd, so that's a free leg up for them, really smart and take training really well. No matter what, look at a dog's historical work/use patterns: there's the key to getting one that will do what you want/need, since if you choose right, you'll have something that's predisposed in that direction and therefore much easier to train.

Good example of that down the road right now, woman got a Cairn terrier, because she thought it was cute, and small and she wanted a little lap dog. Having trouble with it and someone sicced her on me, since I have "a terrier". Yeah, well, those little Cairn buggers are busy little bodies, always snooping and sniffing around, yappy, peering under things and into corners, never ever likely to be a quiet, happy-to-sit-with-the-sedentary-old-lady dog. If she'd looked at the background of that breed with her own wants/needs in mind, she'd not have chosen a Cairn, likely. And of course, I turned out to be a bad person to ask as I'm not all that fond of fuzzy little yapping critters......she needs a whole 'nother dog, of a breed that has always been a pet, like ShitZhu or Peke or some other kind of dog I tend to think of as "useless", just because I don't look for a dog to sit in my lap (get in the way of my knitting!), but for her wouldn't be useless, but would be the perfect kind to have.

Susan Jane, in Maine