homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Dog

  • From: Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Dog
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 09:56:46 -0400

Gene GeRue wrote:

> A nasty junkyard dog might well be intimidating. It might also get you
> a big lawsuit. If gentle people were approaching the house a nasty dog
> might hurt them. If a serious trespasser was approaching the house he
> would simply shoot the dog.

I had an Australian Cattle Dog that would often carry on the whole time
someone was here. She'd bark and try to get around behind them to nip at
their heels. She was a good judge of character, though. Once in a while,
I guess if she liked a person, she'd just settle down and go back to
sleep when someone was here. If she didn't like a person, she'd stand
with her head down, glaring at them, hair standing up, growling a
little...those visitors didn't usually stay long. All in all, though,
I'd like a dog that wouldn't threaten my visitors once I told her they
were OK.

Lynn Wigglesworth