homestead - Re: [Homestead] Is it serious, or is it not?

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Is it serious, or is it not?
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 12:05:36 -0400

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 8:22 AM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> His perspective seems sound to me. For those with insufficient time or
> interest to have read it, here is a quote:
>
> None of this is to say that we need, or do not need, some government
> intervention in the markets. Rather it is to say that the
> administration has failed to make its case, instead assuming that just
> as with the war in Iraq and the Patriot Act, it could stampede
> Congress into thoughtless action and terrify the public into going
> along.

This is what I don't get. The calls to Congress from the American people
against the Bailout Bill, were as low as 35:1 to as high as 90:1 from what I
heard. Congress voted with the people. In other words, we, the collective
we, were actually represented per the number of calls.

Yet, Bush and now heads of state from around the world, are imploring
Congress to do "the right thing" to "pass this bill now" when in fact,
Congress did the right thing by voting the Bill down.

Yes, from what I've read, if the Bill doesn't pass credit will tighten
further nad we'll have turmoil with a capital T, but it won't be the end of
the world.

But now, with all the pressure, Congress will probably manage to find the
extra votes. They will hopefully re-design a better bill with the taxpayer
less on the line than they would have been yesterday.

Lisa