homestead - Re: [Homestead] Is it serious, or is it not?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Is it serious, or is it not?
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 07:22:03 -0500

On Sep 30, 2008, at 9:51 PM, Marie McHarry wrote:

David Cay Johnston is an economic writer who recently retired from the
NYT, but he hasn't been a cheerleader for Wall Street. Here's his
comments from the New Republic:
http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/archive/2008/09/29/celebrating-the-bailout-bill-s-failure-and-looking-ahead.aspx .

Thanks, Marie.

His perspective seems sound to me. For those with insufficient time or interest to have read it, here is a quote:

None of this is to say that we need, or do not need, some government intervention in the markets. Rather it is to say that the administration has failed to make its case, instead assuming that just as with the war in Iraq and the Patriot Act, it could stampede Congress into thoughtless action and terrify the public into going along.