homestead - Re: [Homestead] BBC -glbl wrmg-propaganda investigation

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] BBC -glbl wrmg-propaganda investigation
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 12:22:49 -0800

Yes, back in the dark ages it bugged both my mother and I that certain ages weren't allowed to read certain books. She promptly went down to the library and signed a special card so I could take out anything I wanted. I promptly took out Fanny Hill, James Joyce and Butterfield 8. Boring, boring BORING!

Still can't figure out why it takes 8 pages to describe a mink coat, think James Joyce should be banned simply on the principle that no one should be that boring and the only thing I got from Fanny Hill was using the name for a dog I later owned <g>

The kidlets and I get the banned book list each year and go through it to see what we haven't read and then promptly head on down to the library to find them and then over to the used book store in town to see if he can't get the ones that the library can't get on inter-library loan.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "bob ford" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>

Lynda, It might become history's best read romance if they continue to ban the4 book. perhaps Ginsberg thought of that while writing Howl, also banned (of course, he changed the gender, he didn't like girls).

"...who bared their brains to Heaven under the El and
saw Mohammedan angels staggering on tenement roofs illuminated"...,

whatever, I just don't like someone telling me not to read a book.

After the bastard McVeigh killed those people in Oklahoma, all of the news said that bookstores and libraries would no longer carry "The Turner Diaries", I don't think I had ever even heard of the book before then, but had to find a copy after it was banned. Terrible book, badly wriiten too. It did have one four-word expression that I liked "Day Of The Rope".
Unfortunately, I'm in one of the many groups he and his friends would like to see hanged. Ban a book, you make it famous ....bobford