homestead - Re: [Homestead] Enjoy the quiet while it lasts...

  • From: Jerry B <liberty AT kaballero.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Enjoy the quiet while it lasts...
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:46:02 -0400

Akka Homestead wrote:
Perhaps her 'mythology' doesn't have anything to do with it. Some
people can be assholes with or without mythology.
I am certainly no expert on Palin or politics, but isn't she for opening
up the Reserves on the North Slope? I'd bet she's also for offshore
drilling. Everyone I've ever known who lived in Alaska was pretty self
sufficient and had a real gumption about them-a do it or die for real
attitude. Perhaps that, instead of her 'mythology' will lower
increasing oil prices.
And I think this is probably the very worst scenario that could occur. Finding alternatives for oil/coal/natural gas is imperative. Even then, given 100% success at this, we are cooked meat unless means are also found to remove excessive CO2 in the air put there by humans over the last 100 years. I think the only viable way I have heard to do this is increased soil fertility, a measure never heard yet in the media or climate change circles. Again, anything that lessons burning of fossil fuels or their use in agriculture is a plus, compared to the inevitable effects of increased CO2 in the atmosphere. This soon will obviously overshadow any other challenge we face for survival. 'Peak Oil' is the best thing we got going for us. "Drill, drill, drill" would be about the worst, especially in the long run. I am tending to agree with Letterman. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/09/david-lettermans-global-w_n_125090.html

My conclusion is that seeing that as many as possible survive what is coming should be our focus. The fortunate thing is that these efforts and actions happen to also provide the greatest here and now benefits, regardless of what is to occur in the future. No time wasted by increased self-sufficiency, lowering energy needs, and alternative life-styles. Personally, I think underground and earth-bermed shelter can also play a very significant role in assuring some make it through the days ahead, as well as whatever we each can do to aid return carbon back into the soil, including buying 'Organic'. That we will make a large enough concerted effort to turn the tide is not a given, for certain. Jerry B