homestead - Re: [Homestead] lag posts to concrete, was greenhouse update

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] lag posts to concrete, was greenhouse update
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 16:25:08 -0500

On Sep 6, 2008, at 1:58 PM, keith bellinger wrote:

Hmm, I've been taught to put an expansion board between concrete and any
posts or wall. That doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't connect them
somehow but any movement due to frost heave or whatever would possibly
crack the cement or split the post.

Interesting. I'm thinking about that. First thought is that we commonly attach various structural wood to concrete slabs. So, in your neck of the woods, do you put expansion board between slab and bottom plate? I suspect not. Depending on zone, the perimeter of a slab might require insulation, so maybe that takes care of it.

I've always believed that if you create perfect drainage there will be no movement induced by frost. I like what are known as rubble foundations for that reason. The New Madrid Fault is about 125 miles east of here and there is very serious rock between she and me, so I don't worry about earth movement. About the only thing that moves the earth for me is Chris.

These are five by five ACQ posts two feet into solid ground. I really do not expect any problem with them. I will be building sheds out both sides and the back and probably a short rain roof at the front, plus good out grading all around, so the post bottoms will not be very wet. But that experience I had with a CCA four by four going rotten in less than ten years has stayed in my brain.

I probably just need to get over it.

I have sent a letter to the ACQ people asking them about the rebar.